AS5916-54XKS, AS5916-54XL, AS7816-64X
One of the following symptoms:
1. User couldn't enter the GRUB menu, and the console displays “Reboot and Select
proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key”.
2. BIOS does not detect SSD, Boot Option is "P1: SM2246AA-5" as shown below. (It's the device name of SSD controller.)
3. The BIOS boot order is changed unexpectedly.
4. Always boot into EFI shell.
Step 1: Check BIOS version.
Warm/Cold reboot the switch, the BIOS version will be prompted to the output display.
There is also BIOS version in the setup mode.
This is a known issue before AS5916-54XKS/XL v40.01.00.02 and AS7816-64X v36.01.00.01, that BIOS could not detect the SSD properly after a power cycle.
Resolution for SSD detection problem:
Upgrade the BIOS version and above to resolve the issue.
AS5916-54XKS/XL: version v40.01.00.03 and above
AS7816-64X: version v36.01.00.02 and above
Step 2: In case BIOS version is up-to-date, but the switch still could not boot up properly and display this message on the console.
In case of “Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key”
Resolution: ONIE Recovery
- [ONIE] How to recover ONIE on Edgecore x86 platform switch via USB?
- [ONIE] How to recover ONIE on Edgecore x86 platform switch via PXE?
In case of "Always boot into EFI shell."
Resolution: Make sure the boot order in the BIOS setup mode, SSD order takes priority over EFI shell.
Step 3: If all the above resolutions could not resolve the problem, please submit the ticket to Edgecore Support.